4J Studios Ltd, best known for developing Minecraft for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo games consoles with offices in Dundee and East Linton, Scotland, are looking for a diligent, detail-oriented QA Tester to join our Publishing Quality Assurance team. Successful candidates will serve in a QA testing role on one or more PC and console games at various stages of development, reporting to the QA Manager. You will identify and track bugs and compliance issues in game software, capture screenshots and video, write clear and detailed reproduction steps, and provide ongoing feedback from a player’s point of view to improve the overall quality and stability of games from our in-house development teams, as well as our partner studios.
- Execute a daily testing plan to identify, report, and track bugs according to the testing schedule set out by the QA Manager
- Assist development teams in setting up tests to reproduce complex issues, either reported internally or by an external QA resource.
- Test game software for compliance against TRCs, XRs, and guidelines for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo gaming platforms
- Create or improve detailed reproduction steps for issues discovered and edit those reported by other (non-QA) team members to improve clarity and accuracy.
- Capture screenshots and video of games in development to support bug reporting as well as marketing and promotions.
- Provide ongoing feedback to game designers, artists, and programmers to improve the playability, stability, and overall entertainment value of games in production.
- Help the QA Manager advise on QA strategy, evaluate tools and services to assist in the QA process, and provide input on the test strategy and schedule for each assigned project.
- Cultivate a positive team dynamic and collaborative atmosphere.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Practical experience in software QA testing, preferably for game software on PC, console, or AR/VR/XR.
- Demonstrable knowledge of software quality assurance processes and best practices, with an overall interest in game development and game hardware
- Experience using common QA tools and bug databases like JIRA, Azure, etc.
- The ability to work well within a collaborative creative environment, working closely with game designers, artists, programmers, and senior management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrable understanding of game industry terminology, tools, processes, and production methodologies
- Passion for the latest PC and console video games and game hardware
- Practical experience using Unreal Engine a plus
Education & Experience
- 1+ years of experience in software development as a QA tester, preferably on game software for PC, console, mobile, or AR/VR/XR.
- Must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
- Must be willing to work onsite in Dundee or East Linton, Scotland