4J Studios Ltd, best known for developing Minecraft for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo games consoles with offices in Dundee and East Linton, Scotland, are looking for an experienced, process-oriented QA Manager to build and lead our Publishing Quality Assurance team. The successful candidate will serve in a QA management role on one or more PC and console games at various stages of development, reporting directly to the Head of Software Development. You will identify and implement QA best practices and help our partner studios optimize their own testing pipelines. You will also coordinate with outsourced QA and localization resources as we grow our in-house capabilities, as well as manage and mentor the team you assemble.
- Own and manage all QA testing, tracking, reporting, and analytics on assigned projects
- Lead and guide compliance testing on all self-published titles
- Keep up to date on latest TRCs, XRs, and guidelines for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo gaming platforms
- Manage and coordinate with external QA resources
- Advise and consult with QA leads from partner development studios and help optimize and standardize testing pipelines
- Set the standard for bug reporting and communicating repro steps
- Advise on QA strategy, identify tools and services to assist in the QA process, and set the test strategy and schedule for each assigned project.
- Identify and mitigate risks and bottlenecks associated with the QA process and communicate issues and mitigation strategies to studio leadership
- Serve as a resource and mentor for junior QA testers, providing professional expertise, advice, and potential solutions when conflicts or problems arise.
- Cultivate a positive team dynamic and collaborative atmosphere
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven track record within a publishing environment managing and leading Quality Assurance and platform compliance.
- Deep knowledge of software quality assurance processes and best practices, with an overall interest in game development and game hardware
- Comfortable working with 1st party console certification and launching game content on digital marketplaces.
- Experience using and configuring QA tools and bug databases (JIRA, Azure, etc.)
- The ability to work well within a collaborative creative environment, working closely with game designers, artists, programmers, and senior management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Passion for the latest PC and console video games and game hardware
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Practical experience using Unreal Engine
- Experience or interest in Accessibility testing and automated testing
- Good understanding of games-as-service and live operations
- Experienced people manager
Education & Experience
- University degree preferred or demonstrates through credited titles an industry standard level of professional video game experience.
- 3+ years of experience in the game development industry as a QA tester
- 2+ commercially released game titles on console, mobile, VR/AR/XR, or PC
- Must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
- Must be willing to work onsite in Dundee or East Linton, Scotland